Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Map Renmen Mekredi

Wednesdays are Prenatals.  That is the scheduled day for expectant moms to come for check ups.  I got to sit in on two.  More were expected, but because the weather is crappy, only three women came.  I learned how to feel for the baby’s head, bottom and feet.  I also learned that contrary to popular belief, pregnant women do need salt.  If you think about it, it actually makes a lot of sense.  Salt is in iv’s, gatorade/powerade and it is also what we lose in our sweat.  We also talked about preeclampsia.  The signs of preeclampsia are swollen hands and feet, protein in the urine and high blood pressure.  This can be alleviated by eating foods high in protein; peanuts (all nuts), meat, coconuts, liver, eggs and beans.  Today was very exciting.  I have a feeling Wednesdays will be my favorite.
High: Being present for prenatals
Low: No phone 

No comments:

Post a Comment