Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mizik Madi

I'd like to start posting about specific topics on specific days.  So I'll start today off as Music Tuesdays.  I'm going to highlight a Haitian band or song that I'm really into and want to share.  You all can suggest music as well.  I always enjoy 'discovering' a new to me artist or song.  I will attempt to cover all genres.



Today's feature is on the group Boukman Eksperyans.  They are extremely popular and were considered very controversial for their music.  They are a rasin (roots) band that play music heavily influenced by their Haitian culture and vodou roots.  Their sound is unlike that of any other Haitian band that I can think of.  Although I don't own any of their cd's, there are three songs that I love immensely.  Click on the song title, and you will either be taken to the video or to the song.  Hope you enjoy as much as I do.


Ke'm Pa Sote (Loosely translated as I am not afraid; Carnival 1990)

If you love the sounds of the drums of West Africa and Haiti, this song is for you.

The song talks about the troubles and misery Haitians are facing.  The singer is calling to a spirit about the burden of the people and how it is too heavy for them to carry.  Their blood is being spilled in the streets.  Yet they are not afraid because Boukman is in the Carnival.

Mayi A Gaye (Corn is Spread or messed up; I'm going to ask around because this is not the best definition )
*Just press the play button not download

She is singing to someone or something that has left and she's asking when is it going to come back to see her.  She laments how the country has changed, fallen and is in the midst of confusion, she is fighting to feed her family, and wants the spirits to bless them.

Imamou Lele (I think it is a Vodou Spirit, but I have no idea what language this is; perfect example of what happens when people of various tribes and ethnicities are mixed together and have to form a new language in order to survive)

This is the shortest song of the three and the most visually pleasing.  She is calling to the spirit and singing how Haiti is going to waste, it's people, energy and land.


Sidebar: Please don't bash rasin music, because you equate it with Haitian vodou/voodoo.  Appreciate the beauty that is in the words, and instruments.

"Sonje lapli ki leve mayi ou" - Remember the rain allowed your corn to grow

No comments:

Post a Comment