Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Vinn Manje Vandredi

Hi all, as is tradition; today is Vinn Manje Vandredi.  I will highlight a haitian dish/meal, along with general directions and pictures on how to make the dish.  I hope you enjoy.  Please feel free to share any of your favorite recipes as well.



Today's dish is Patat a Let.  This is a meal traditionally eaten in the evening before bed.  It is aso a very quick meal, and I am a huge fan of quick meals.  I love Patat a Let.  My mom made some for me last week, but as is custom with a lot of Haitians, it was too sweet and I was unable to finish it all.  Delicious and filling, but too sweet.  I also found a new Haitian recipe website, it's called Cooking With Madame Sara.  Really great site, check it out.

You will need:
Sweet potatoes, not the American kind but the ones called batata, condensed milk, ginger, star anise, cinnamon and cinnamon.
Sweet Potato


Peel your sweet potatoes in a shallow bowl or pot of water.  


Rinse off, and put to boil with cinnamon and star anise.  

Peel and grate a piece of ginger into the sweet potatoes.

Cook the sweet potatoes thoroughly but do not let them become mushy.  Once the potatoes are cooked, remove 3/4's of the water and pour in your condensed milk.  Add sugar according to your liking.

Tell me if you try this at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment