Search This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pa fwa mwen santi 'm aneve

Sometimes I find myself being Haiti's defender, particularly when in contact with Whites.  Regardless of how long they've been in the country, I still feel like I'm more of an insider than they are especially in regards to relating with the people.  I think it's because I'm Haitian by blood and birth.  That connects me to the land and the people more than a little blue booklet.   I know that we as people tend to prejudge and make a lot of generalizations, but for some reason that bothers me when those generalizations and prejudices are about Haitian culture, and her people.  It is especially difficult when these generalizations or stereotypes are coming from people who are currently living and working in Haiti.  It's weird being in my shoes, because although I'm very American in Haiti; I identify with Haitians when interacting with Whites.  Until I open my mouth they've already lumped me in with Haitians anyways; so why should I try to identify with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment