Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Poto Mitan

*Pic taken from Google


I just watched a great documentary today, called Poto Mitan.  It is about the working conditions for women in Haiti, and how women are the center of our society.  The word poto mitan translates to center pole. It also alludes to the vodou culture present in many parts of Haiti.  The poto mitan is the center pole around which all ceremonies are performed. I've known about this documentary for a little over a year now, but I was unable to get my hands on it until now.

 The documentary is in creole but I have seen segments of it on Youtube with subtitles. I think it did a wonderful job portraying the strength and tenacity of the women trying to eek out a living for their families without coming off as woe is the poor, uneducated black woman having a bunch of fatherless babies.  It is also very informative. It addresses the embargoes that have been placed on Haiti, the UN, factories in Haiti and the agricultural sector which the majority of the people work in.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  Are there any other documentaries about Haiti that you feel are worth checking out, let me know in the comments section or via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment